Use this site map to help you find the posts you’re looking for by catagory.
Gay Marriage explanations:
The issue of the gay marriage initiatives is very complex. It’s difficult to understand why this is so important to Mormons that the word marriage refer only to marriage between a man and a woman unless you understand more about Mormon doctrine. By following the list of articles below in the listed order, you’ll be able to gain some background information that will help you to see why Mormons believe as they do–how this fits into their total doctrine. You may not agree with them or believe as they do, but it will allow you to understand how, if one believes as they do, why they must do what they’re doing. In addition, you’ll discover that Mormons are much less of a threat to the homosexual community than many other Christian religions, because of of their views on homosexuality in general and on their attitude toward specific types of laws.
The first articles teach the doctrine that influence the church’s stand on gay marriage. These are followed by more specific articles on homosexuality and gay marriage.
1. Introduction: This article gives you an overview and also has this same listing of articles. You can actually follow them simply by reading in order, from the top article on the blog through to the end.
2. You are a child of God For Mormons, the most important defining quality is our spiritual parentage, not our sexuality. It should be the primary source of decision-making.
3. Gender was determined before birth. God chose our gender when He created our spirits. We must honor His choice.
4. Gay Mormons: There are those who have homosexual tendencies and who choose to remain membes of the church. How does this affect their place in their religion?
5. Attitude toward trials: Homosexual tendencies is not a sin, but it can be a trial or challenge to members of the church. Learn how Mormons face trials.
6. Mormons and Marriage: Now that you have some basic background, you’re ready to learn how Mormons view marriage. This understanding of Mormon marriage is critical to understanding how they view the entire issue.
7. Mormons and the Same-Sex Marriage Battles: What exactly do Mormons hope to accomplish in the battle? They are not out to outlaw homosexual relationships, or even legal rights. It’s only a defining of terms.
8. Can Churches Participate in Election Issues? By law, yes. And by the principles of basic democracy, religious people are allowed a say in how our country is run.
9. Is Polygamy a Valid Gay Marriage Argument? Some have tried to use a doctrine not practiced for 100 years to force Mormons to support them. What’s wrong with this approach?
To learn more about the basic beliefs of Mormons, visit Basic Beliefs Site Map